Washing dishes is a never-ending cycle. You wash them, they get dirty again.
I was recently told by a friend that I am "obsessed" with dish washing. I vehemently denied her accusation and countered jokingly that, if anything, I just like to keep my hands clean (and wash dishes at the same time). But after giving it some more thought, I realized she might actually be right.
So, in the interest of honesty (and to provide some much-needed insight into my psyche), I present to you my ode to dish soap. Enjoy! :)
I will cover a few topics here. Feel free to jump to any of them.
- What is solid dishwashing soap and how is it different from liquid dishwashing soap
- How effective is solid dish soap comparing to liquid dish soap?
- How to use solid dishwashing soap
- Storing zero-waste dish soap
- The benefits of using solid dishwashing soap
- Where To Buy Dish Washing Bar Soap?
To be honest, I do enjoy washing my dirty dishes by hand. And yes, I do own a dishwasher, but doing it by hand gives me some kind of unexplained sense of satisfaction. Although I never really had an extreme reaction to any of the liquid soaps (sometimes my skin felt dry), I recently grew an aversion to plastic bottles. That's when I decided to give the zero waste dish soap a try.
If you're like me, you're probably looking for ways to save money and help the environment at the same time. One way that you can do both is by using a zero waste dish soap.
Solid dish soap, also known as zero waste dish soap have been gaining in popularity in recent years, as more and more people are looking for ways to reduce their environmental impact. But what are the facts? Are they really as effective as liquid dish soap? In this blog post, we will explore the truth about dish soap bars and help you decide if they are right for you!
What is solid dishwashing soap and how is it different from liquid dishwashing soap
Solid dishwashing soap is a bar of soap that is specifically designed for cleaning dishes. It is usually made with natural ingredients and does not contain any synthetic fragrances or colours. Usually made in small batches by family owned businesses (few extra points for that)
Traditional liquid soap, on the other hand, is typically made with synthetic ingredients and often contains fragrances and colours. It is also packaged in plastic bottles (few points deduction there).
Now that you know the facts, you can decide if solid dishwashing soap is right for you! If you're looking for a more environmentally friendly option, or if you're looking to save money, then solid dishwashing soap may be the way to go. Give it a try and see for yourself! You may be surprised at how well it works!
How effective is solid dish soap comparing to liquid dish soap?
As zero-packaging and plastic reduction demand increases, new dishwashing goods are entering the market in innovative forms. While liquid and bar dish soaps both clean effectively, dish soap bars are less wasteful and more minimally packaged.
There are a few things to consider when comparing the effectiveness of solid dish soap to liquid dish soap. The first is that solid zero waste dish soap is concentrated, so you only need to use a small amount. This means that one bar of solid dish soap will last you much longer than a bottle of liquid dish soap.
The second thing to consider is that solid dish soap is usually made with natural ingredients, which may be more effective at cutting through grease and grime than synthetic ingredients.
Finally, solid dish soap does not contain any water, so it will not dilute as you are using it like liquid dish soap can. This means that you will get a more concentrated cleaning power, which can be helpful when cleaning very dirty dishes.
So, if you're looking for a more environmentally friendly and cost-effective dish soap option, then solid dish soap may be the way to go! Give it a try and see for yourself! You may be surprised at how well it works! Thanks for reading! :)
How to use solid dishwashing soap
Using solid dishwashing soap is pretty simple! Just wet your dishcloth, sponge or dishwashing scrubber, rub it on the soap to create a lather, and then wash your dishes as usual. You may need to experiment a little bit to find the right amount of soap to use, but once you get the hang of it, it's really not any different from using liquid dish soap.
Now that you know how to use solid dishwashing soap, give it a try and see how you like it! You may be surprised at how well it works!
Storing zero-waste dish soap
If you're using dish bar soap, store it somewhere it will stay dry. Using whatever storage container you choose, make sure the soap is either dry before you store it or kept in a place where it will dry between uses. For example, keep it on a dish rack or soap dish next to the sink. This way, any water that drips off the soap will be caught by the dish rack and won't have a chance to pool around the soap and make it soggy.
One of the great things about solid dish soap is that it doesn't require any special storage. Once dry, you can just keep it in a dish on your counter, or even in a mason jar next to your sink.
If you're traveling with solid dish soap, simply put it in a small container and pack it in your suitcase. It's really that easy!
Now that you know the truth about dish bar soap, give it a try and see for yourself! You may be surprised at how well it works! Thanks for reading!
Happy cleaning! :)
The benefits of using solid dishwashing soap
So, what are the benefits of using solid dishwashing soap? Here are a few:
- Solid dish soap is more concentrated than liquid dish soaps, so you can use less of it to get your dishes clean. This means that solid dish soaps can last longer than their liquid counterparts.
- Dish soap bars are typically made with natural ingredients, which means they don't have any harsh chemicals, are non-toxic and are better for the environment than liquid dish soaps.
- Solid dish soap is usually less expensive than liquid soaps.
- Solid dish soap requires lot less energy to produce and transport, therefore it's much more eco friendly alternative
- Solid dishwashing soap reduces plastic waste - liquid dish soap usually comes in plastic packaging which sometimes is recycled and sometimes is just thrown away in garbage. Solid soap on the other hand comes mostly wrapped in recycled paper, compostable cardboard box or package free.
- Solid dish soap reduces palm oil use - palm oil harvesting accounts for 3.5 million hectares of destroyed rainforest throughout Indonesia, Malaysia, and Papua New Guinea.
Where To Buy Dish Washing Bar Soap?
If you're interested in purchasing dishwashing soap, there are a few places that you can buy it. Here are a few of our favourites:
- EcoFreax offers a few options; the king of them all No Tox Life Dishwashing Block is our favourite and one of the first companies to offer zero waste dish soap bars. Another plastic free dish soap is a dish block from Etee. And if you're really serious about using a natural dish soap and not sure where to start, we put together a nice zero waste dish cleaning kit to get you started.
- Amazon: You can find a variety of dishwashing soaps on Amazon, including both liquid and solid dish soaps.
- Etsy: Etsy is a great place to find natural and eco-friendly dishwashing soaps.
- Local Stores: Any local eco store, such as health food store and zero waste store, sell dishwashing soap.
Purchasing dishwashing soap is a great way to reduce your environmental impact! Give it a try today! Thanks for reading! :)
Now that you know the truth about solid dishwashing soap, give it a try and see for yourself! You may be surprised at how well it works!
And while you're at it, try not to use any plastic sponges, go all in and get some zero waste products for your eco friendly dish soaps. If using a dish brush to scrub dishes clean, look for one with natural bristles instead of synthetic bristles. Synthetic bristles are typically made from petroleum-based plastics which can release harmful chemicals when they breakdown over time. Natural bristles are biodegradable and won't release any harmful chemicals.
FAQs on Dish Soap Bars
What is a dish soap bar?
- A dish soap bar is a solid bar of soap specifically designed for cleaning dishes. It's typically made with natural ingredients and doesn't contain synthetic fragrances or colors.
How is a dish soap bar different from liquid dishwashing soap?
- While both are designed to clean dishes, dish soap bars are usually made with natural ingredients and come in solid form. Liquid soaps often contain synthetic ingredients and are packaged in plastic bottles.
How do I use a dish soap bar?
- Wet your dishcloth, sponge, or scrubber, rub it on the soap to create a lather, and then wash your dishes as usual.
Is a dish soap bar effective compared to liquid dish soap?
- Yes, dish soap bars are concentrated, meaning you only need a small amount. They can be more effective at cutting through grease and grime due to their natural ingredients and lack of water.
How should I store my dish soap bar?
- Store it in a dry place. You can keep it on a dish rack or soap dish next to the sink to ensure it dries between uses.
What are the environmental benefits of using a dish soap bar?
- Dish soap bars are more eco-friendly as they reduce plastic waste, require less energy to produce and transport, and often come in recycled or compostable packaging. They also help in reducing palm oil use, which is linked to deforestation.
Where can I buy dish soap bars?
- You can purchase them from eco-friendly stores like EcoFreax, online marketplaces like Amazon and Etsy, or local eco and health food stores.
Do dish soap bars leave a residue on dishes?
- If not rinsed properly, they might leave a film. If this happens, simply rinse your dishes with vinegar or lemon juice to get them sparkling clean.
Are dish soap bars cost-effective?
- Yes, since they are concentrated and last longer than liquid soaps, they can be more cost-effective in the long run.
- Why should I consider switching to a dish soap bar?
- If you're looking for an environmentally-friendly, cost-effective, and natural alternative to liquid dish soaps, dish soap bars are a great option.